Street Improvement Program FAQ


 What is the difference between reconstruction and reclamation?

The following table is a side-by-side comparison of reconstruction and reclamation:

Pavement Replacement
Full Depth
Full Depth
Curb Replacement
Sanitary Sewer Repairs
Storm Sewer Repairs/Upgrades
Water Main Replacement

 What is a typical project timeline?

The City of Wyoming strives for lower costs and greater flexibility with construction projects and schedules; therefore, the City tries to have projects bid during the late winter and early spring, with our goal being to have construction work substantially completed by mid- fall. 

 Where does the funding come from for street improvement projects?

The City of Wyoming pays for street and utility improvements using the following funding mechanisms: 

  1. Special Assessments - For approximately 20% of street improvements
  2. Sewer and Water Utility Fund - For 100% of sanitary sewer and water main improvements 
  3. City Levy Dollars & Franchise Fees - For 80% of street improvements

 How will the City communicate project progress and updates with residents and business owners?

Property owners will receive formal notification via US Mail for the following:

  • When preliminary design work will be occurring for a given neighborhood
  • Notice of neighborhood meetings to be held during the final design phase and prior to the start of construction
  • Notice of the public hearing before the City Council to approve the project
  • Notice of the final assessment hearing

The City will also post updates about design, neighborhood meetings, and construction progress on the City’s website, where there is also an option to sign up for email updates related to each project. During construction, the City’s contractor will distribute door flyers to communicate construction impacts such as parking restrictions and water service interruptions during the project.

 How are streets selected for reconstruction and reclamation?

The City identifies streets to be improved in the five year map. This map is reviewed annually in order to prioritize the identified streets based on a variety of factors including: street condition, age, condition of utilities and the type of street.

 What if my irrigation or landscaping is damaged during construction?

In an effort to minimize damages, prior to the start of construction, property owners are encouraged to transplant any flowers or plants they wish to save for replanting following construction, and to mark any of the following buried items with flags, stakes, or other markers:

  • Electrical wires
  • Invisible fencing
  • Irrigation system heads

 Will I lose trees in my yard?

The City strives to protect trees to the greatest extent possible on all street projects; however, the following trees may require trimming or outright removal:

  • Ash trees
  • Trees within the right-of-way
  • Trees that obstruct sight lines at intersections
  • Trees that overhang the roadway

Design staff will identify potentially problematic trees, and will work with the City Forester to determine if trimming or removal may be necessary. The City Forester will also be available to meet with residents and answer specific questions about potential tree impacts during the neighborhood meeting process.

 Will my mail service or garbage service be interrupted?

For street reconstruction projects, property owners will be notified at the start of construction if removal of their mailbox is necessary to complete the work. If so, the contractor will install temporary mailboxes at a location near the edge of the project area as determined by the USPS.

Garbage service will be maintained throughout the duration of the project. The contractor will provide access to garbage haulers to make garbage pickups.