How Do I Register to Vote

Registering to Vote in Chisago County



Paper Registration Application

Who is eligible to vote?

You can vote in Wyoming if on Election Day you:

  • Are at least 18 years old
  • Are a citizen of the United States
  • Have been a Minnesota resident for 20 days immediately
  • Are a resident of Wyoming and the precinct in which you wish to vote
  • Are not under court-ordered guardianship in which the court revokes your right to vote
  • Are not found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote
  • Have any felony conviction record discharged, expired or completed

 How do I register to vote?

To vote, every voter must first register.  You may register to vote before Election Day until pre-registration cut-off (July 19 for the State Primary and October 18 for the State General Election).  Your registration subsequently remains current until you move, change your name, or do not vote for four consecutive years.  You may also register to vote at your polling place on Election Day with the proper documents.

How do I know if I am registered to vote?

Visit the Secretary of State office's voter registration lookup service.  You will be asked to enter your name, birthday, and address and the service will quickly indicate whether you are registered at that address.  You may also call Chisago County at (651) 213-8500 to check whether you are registered to vote.

Voter registration lookup service

Registering before Election day

Information on Election Day registration can be found here at Chisago County's website.


Registering On Election Day


You can also register at your polling place on Election Day. You must show the election judges one of the following documents:


  1. Valid Minnesota driver's license, learner's permit or ID card (or a receipt for any of these documents) that includes your current address. 
  2. A tribal ID card which includes name, address, signature and picture, from a tribe recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).
  3. Oath of a registered voter in your precinct who can vouch for your residence in the precinct. Employees of nursing homes, shelters and certain other residential facilities may also vouch for the persons who reside there. 
  4. Prior registration at another name or address in your precinct. 
  5. Notice of late registration mailed to you by Ramsey County Elections.
  6. If you are a college student, you may use a current student identification card (including your photo), if your college has provided a student housing list to Ramsey County Elections.


Or, one document from each of the following groups: 


Group A: A driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card issued by the State of Minnesota or any other state of the United States with a previous address, U.S. passport, U.S. military identification card, Minnesota high school/college/university ID card. These documents must contain your name and photo.  You may also present a tribal ID card that contains your name, photo and signature, from a tribe recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).


Group B: An original bill (paper or electronic), including account statements and start-of-service notifications, with a due date 30 days before or after the election, or, for bills or notifications without a due date, dated within 30 days before Election Day, containing the voter's valid address in the precinct.  Eligible bills are:  gas, electric, solid waste, water, sewer, phone, cell phone, television, internet provider, credit card, banking services, rent statement, mortgage statement, a current student fee statement, or a residential lease or rental agreement valid through Election Day.


Can I vote if I am in Foreclosure?

You cannot be denied the right to vote due to the fact that you are in a mortgage forclosure process.  Residents who are involved in a foreclosure proceeding can still vote since they can still reside in their house during foreclosure proceedings.  The owner still has rights to the property for a period of time during foreclosure and may continue to live in the home for at least six months after the sheriff's sale.  As long as you are living in your house, you can claim it as your residence, even if it is in foreclosure.

State law requires that anyone challenging an owner's eligibility to vote must have personal knowledge that the individual is not eligible to vote - that he or she does not live in the precinct and has vacated the residence (through either a voluntary move or eviction proceeding) and does not intend to return.  An owner who has vacated the property in foreclosure with no intention of returning cannot vote from that address.  Instead, that person must vote int he precinct of current residence, whether it is the home of a friend or relative, a homeless shelter, etc., as long as the person has resided in Minnesota for 20 days.

For more information, please visit the Secretary of State's website or call 1-877-600-VOTE (8683).